Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Stewart to Spend Year On Oxford Sabbatical

Zeph Stewart, Master of Lowell House and professor of Greek and Latin, will spend a sabbatical next year at Oxford, compiling and editing two sets of writings by Arthur Darby Nock, who was Frothingham Professor of the History of Religions here until his death in January 1963.

Stewart will work first on the Gifford Lectures of the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, delivered by Nock in 1946 but still unpublished. He plans to edit the lectures, which deal with Hellenistic religion, and add a commentary supplementing the famed classicist's original ideas with later discoveries made largely by Nock himself.

Stewart's second volume will be a collection of articles by Nock which have appeared in scholarly periodicals. The Clarendon Press of the Oxford University Press has asked Stewart to finish the two volumes by September 1966.

Stewart, who graduated summa cum laude in classics from Yale in 1942, succeeded Elliot Perkins '23 as Master of Lowell House in June, 1963. He has visited Oxford, but never studied there.

Sometime soon, Stewart said, President Pusey will announce the new acting master.

During the summer of 1966 Stewart hopes to revisit archaeological sites in parts of North Africa and the Near East, particularly the Harvard-Cornell excavations at Sardis, Turkey.

Stewart is the second Master to announce a sabbatical for next year. Reuben A. Brower, Master of Adams House and professor of English, will spend next year in London and Greece preparing a book on Shakespeare and the Graeco-Roman heroic tradition.