Professor at Med School Quits as Hospital Chief

By James C. Ohls

Dr. Robert J. Glaser '40, professor of Social Medicine and head of a $50 million teaching hospital complex planned for the Medical School, announced he will resign in June to become dean of the School of Medicine at Stanford University.

The announcement ends rumors that Glaser might succeed George P. Berry, Dean of the Medical School, who will retire this June.

Glaser has served since July, 1963, as president of the Affiliated Hospitals Center (AHC), an association of six Harvard teaching hospitals organized in 1961 to allow the hospitals to coordinate their resources better. The center plans eventually to bring the six hospitals together in a single medical complex located near the Medical School.

Henry C. Meadow, associate dean of the Faculty of Medicine for financial affairs, said last night that Glaser's resignation will slow work on the plans for the proposed center, but that it "certainly won't halt progress on the project."

Critics of the AHC have accused the member hospitals of proceeding too slowly with plans for the new medical facility. Glazer said last night, however, that he believes work has gone as quickly as could be expected.

Problems Not Hopeless

"Anytime you try to bring six separate organizations together," he said, "you are bound to have organizational problems, but I don't think ours have been insurmountable ones."

Glazer predicted that construction of the complex may start as soon as 18 months from now. "Much of the preliminary definition of the new Center's medical program has been completed," he said," and I am confident that the progress which has been achieved to date will continue."

President Pusey has praised the complex as a means of "bridging the gap between the experimental and the bedside aspects of medicine."

In submitting his resignation, Glaser predicted that the new facility "will constitute a key resource for the health care of large numbers of citizens and will also be an invaluable asset to teaching and health care research."

Before coming to Harvard, Glazer served as dean of the University of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver. At Stanford he will become vie-president for medical affairs and professor of medicine as well as dean of the medical school.