Court Convicts 3 For Drugs Sale Near University

Middlesex Superior Court Judge Edward Pecce sentenced three men yesterday on charges of possessing and selling drugs in the vicinity of Harvard Square. Pecce also expressed concern about the drug traffic in the Square area.

Receiving $1000 fines and suspended 7 year jail sentences were Michael Glass, 25, of Los Angeles, Donald Luber, 25, of New York City, and Stephen Norris, 21, of Newton, Mass. None of the men are connected with the university.

In handing down the sentences Pecce remarked, "The court is going to exercise whatever power there is to see that there a no recurrence in the sale or traffic drugs in Harvard Square. The situation is alarming," he continued. "The use of drugs among students is depressing."

Marijuana Cache

The three men were arrested last Nov. by two state troopers who disguised themselves are prospective drug buyers. The police uncovered a large cache of marijuana in a Banks St. apartment, some of it unprocessed and some of it ready or sale.

Norris, Luber, and Glass were charged with illegal sale and possession of narcotics, with conspiracy to violate the narcotic drug law, and with being present where a narcotic drug was being kept illegally. "I am going to impose rather severe sentences on these men and suspend them to give them a chance to reform," Pecce said.

Pecce placed the indictments on file in case of further offenses by the men. All three pleaded guilty to the charges made against them.

The arrests followed a lead from Lt. James Herrick last November that an organization operating in the Square area was engaged in selling dope to Harvard students.