Blaine Advocates Birth-Control Aid

Information on birth control should be made part of the curricula of high schools and colleges, Graham G. Blaine '40, Chief of Psychiatry to the University Health Service, says in an article in the winter issue of Mosaic, to be released today.

The article will be part of Blaine's new book, Youth in our Affluent Society, which will probably be published in the spring of 1966.

Blaine suggests that giving birth control information in the schools would greatly reduce the number of illegitimate births in America.

Postmarital Affairs

He also says that premarital sex "tends to lead to" postmarital affairs. He cites a Kinsey study which found that twice as many women who were not virgin at the time of marriage had at least one affair after marriage than women who were virgin.

Anything which lead to divorce or illegitimate children should be discouraged, Blaine maintains, and "the encouragement of premarital sexual relations wold seem to be one of these things."

There were reasons for having the double standard of allowing men more sexual freedom while expecting women to remain chaste, Blaine also suggests.

But Blaine warns that it wold probably be impossible to return to the old standards now. Doing so, he says, would "bring back the days of the brothel, the harlot and the back-street wife with all the vice and crime that went with them."

He notes that most girls can postpone intercourse until after marriage with no feeling of deprivation, which most boys cannot.