Smithies to Be Nominated As Kirkland House Master

Economist Would Succeed Taylor

President Pusey will propose Arthur Smithies, Nathaniel Ropes Professor of Political Economy, as the next Master of Kirkland House.

According to informed sources, Pusey will recommend his name to the Board of Overseers for formal approval at the Board's next meeting, scheduled for March S. approval by the Overseers is considered normally to be routine.

Reached at his home last night, Smithies declined comment on the proposed appointment.

Smithies would succeed Charles H. Taylor, Henry Charles Len Professor of Medieval History, who will retire in June. He has served as master since 1955.

Smithies whose face has become a familiar one in the Kirkland House dining hall, is a fellow of the House.

A professor at Harvard since 1949, he teaches several courses in the Economics Department Theory; Economics 206, Economics and Public Policy; and Economics 242b, a seminar on Fiscal Policy: Financial Problems of Economic Debt. He also holds an appointment to the Faculty of Public Administration.

Budget Expert

Smithies is well-known as the author of The Budgetary Process in the United States, and other works on American and European economics and fiscal policy.

A native of Australia, Smithies, who is now 57, was born in Hobari, Tasmania, and received an LL.B. from the University of Tasmania. He continued his education as a Rhodes Scholar at Magdalon college, Oxford. Two years later, in 1934, he received a Ph.D. from Harvard as a Commonwealth Fund Fellow.

In addition to teaching at Harvard and the University of Michigan, Smithies has worked for the governments of both the United States and Australia.

Many Government Pests

He was an economist in the Australian Treasury Department during the 1920's, and has served with the U.S. Bureau of the Budget, the U.S. Bureau of the Budget, the Economic Cooperation Administration, the Office of Defense Mobilization, and the Hoover Commission.

At Harvard, smithies has been Nathaniel Ropes Professor of Political Economy since 1957.