HYRC Refuses to Sponsor Bircher Execs Decide to Avoid Controversy

The Harvard Young Republican Club's executive committee decided. Tuesday that the club will not become a forum for the John Birch Society, even though club president David L. McNicol '66 was preparing to invite Robert Welch, chairman of the Society, to speak sometime this May.

The resolution to deny Welch the club's sponsorship was offered by Eric Von Salzen '65, a former president of the HYRC, because "we must try and away the undecided group to the Republican Party and inviting such speakers as Welch will not facilitate this task."

McNicol said he had an appointment with Dean Watson next Monday to discuss Welch's proposed visit. After hearing Von Salzen's speech, however, McNicol said he was convinced that "this is not the proper time to ask him to speak."

McNicol, Von Salzen, and seven of the ten other executive committee members voted for the resolution, which would be effective until October 1.

However, Henry G. Beyer II '67, a member-at-large of the committee, disagreed. "Harvard has always had a liberal tradition and the HYRC should fellow this policy by allowing anyone to speak McNicol countered that "once we has a strong speaker's program we can the afford to invite Welch. Right now he would not help the speaking program.

When he was informed of the HYRC action, Welch said he had "no comment.