Franquemont Places 3rd As Wrestlers Take 9th In Eastern Tournament

Lead by Ed Franquemont, who took third place in the 147-pound class, Harvard finished ninth in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Tounrament Saturday at Ithaca. The Crimson was ahead of every other Ivy League team except Cornell, the league champion.

Franquemont, the first Harvard wrestler to place in the Easterns since 1959, lost in the semifinals to Mark Scureman of Army, 5-4 in overtime, after the two wrestlers had fought to a wild 9-9 deadlock in regulation.

Then, in the complicated system of matches that determine third and fourth-place finishers in the Easterns, Franquemont edged Joe Demeo of Cornell 2-1, and met Franklin and Marshall's Chuck Geddes in the consolation finals.

After a 1-1 tie, Franquemont went into overtime for the second time that day and smashed Geddes 7-0 for third place in the class. Dino Boni of Pitt defeated Scureman, 4-3, in the finals for the 147-pound title.

In other matches, Harvard captain Ben Brooks beat Hackett of Rutgers, 10-6, in the first-round consolation at 191 pounds, only to be eliminated by Penn State's Ellery Seltz, 3-0.

Crimson heavyweight Tack Chace also moved to the second-round of the consolations, drubbing Jim Traunsteiner of Pitt, . But Paul Goble of Rutgers, who had beaten Chace 4-2 in a regular-season match this year, downed him again, 4-0.

Two other Harvard wrestlers lost their consolation matches: Howie Henjyoji (123) bowed to Terry Haise of Syracuse, 5-0, and Howie Durfee (137) fell to Jim Murrin of Syracuse.

Both Murrin and Haise eventually took third place in their classes, helping to boost Syracuse to a 65-point total and the tournament team championship. Lehigh, last year's champion, was second with 59 points.