Interhouse Tally Shows Only Minor Imbalance

The first month of free interhouse dining between Harvard and Radcliffe has resulted in only minor financial imbalance in Harvard's favor, according to figures released yesterday by Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, assistant dean of the Faculty for resources and planning.

Attempts to lure Harvard men up Garden St. for dinner were more successful than many had predicted; but Cliffies ate 90 more meals in Harvard dining halls last month than Harvard men ate at the 'Cliffe.

Over a period of three weeks, Harvard men ate 738 meals at Radcliffe, and Cliffies 828 meals at Harvard, Trottenberg said. Since the two dining hall systems maintain separat e accounts, Radcliffe has had to pay Harvard about $130 to correct the imbalance.

According to a plan adopted by the Masters in December, interhouse will be reviewed at the end of March to see if it should be continued indefinitely.

Trottenberg, who will have a major voice in the final decision on interhouse, declined to comment yesterday on the program's prospects. "It's much too early to tell," he said, since the March statisstics may affect the imbalance in either direction.

"Unless there has been a catasrophic imbalance," he said, interhouse will probably continue after the trial period, while it is being reviewed. According to the original plan each Master also maintains some control over interhouse in his dining hall.

In the meantime, Daniel E. Goldfarh Jr. '66, chairman of the new Harvard Undergraduate Council, appointed a three-man committee earlier this week to meet with representatives of the Radcliffe Government Association and the Administration to work toward continuation of interhouse.