1000 Urge Peace In South Vietnam

One thousand people massed on the Boston Common Saturday to protest American intervention in Vietnam. The demonstrators, including 175 who had marched from the Cambridge Common, listened to speeches urging the government to pull out of Vietnam and concentrate on problems back home.

Howard Ziun, associate professor of Government at Boston University, told the crowd that "To a lot of people in Asia, President Johnson must seem like a global Governor Wallace." Noel Day, who ran for Congress last year against Rep. John McCormack, added "It is useless for Americans to respect non-violence in this country, unless they recognize it on an international scale."

Day criticized the government for interfering in what he called "a civil war" and for acting without the support of its allies. Herbert Marcuse, professor of Philosophy at Brandies, and Kay Boyle also spoke.

Two Harvard groups were present to protest against the rally. Members of the November 9th Committee passed out leaflets urging the government to stay in Vietnam. Four Law School students from the Ad Hoc Committee to End All Ad Hoc Committees loudly criticized the "circular false argument" which they found in the speeches.