City Asks Cops to Halt Drug Traffic in Square

By Robert J. Samuelson

The Cambridge City Council yesterday asked Police Chief Daniel J. Brennan assign five, full-time specially-trained officers to rout out the drug traffic in Harvard Square. At the same time, the Council scheduled a meeting with City, County, and state officials for next Monday to discuss further measures to combat .

Invited to the meeting along with Brennan were John J. Droney, Middle- County District Attorney, John J. Curry '19, City Manager, and George A. Michael, head of the state's food and drug administration.

Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci also promised to bring Middlesex Superior Court Justice Frank W. Tomasello-- who set off the current controversy last Monday--but other councillors doubted that Tomasello would attend.

Despite the apparent interest in drugs, the Council may be able to do little to compel the Police Department to increase its anti-narcotics forces.

The Department is directly responsible only to the City Manager, and Curry gives Brennan wide freedom in running things as he sees fit. "The only question involved here is whether we can run the police department," Councillor Andrew T. Trodden told his colleagues. "We can't."

"We can make all kinds of requests, and, in the end, he [Brennan] will do whatever he wants," Trodden continued

As recently as a month ago the Council passed another order asking Brennan to create a special anti-narcotics force. But last week Brennan appeared before the Council and staunchly dofended his department's record. Only after intensive questioning did he give a very ambiguous pledge of "increased efforts" in the Square area.

Brennan also maintained that drug traffic in the Square is not a "serious problem" and that it has been exaggerated. University officials have taken the same position.

Yesterday's oruer was introduced by Councillor Walter J. Sullivan who called drug traffic "a very dangerous situation," but only asked that two men be assigned full time to combatting it. Trodden amended the order to increase the number to five and asked that these men be sent away to school for special training. The order passed 3-1 with Mrs. Cornelia B. Wheeler the only dissenting vote.

The meeting next Monday will be an executive session, beginning at 4 p.m. in the mayor's office and will be closed to the public.