Gentleman Bandit Grins as He Robs Cambridge Savings Bank of $2700

A courteous, middle-aged gunman held up a teller at the Cambridge Federal Savings and Loan Association in Brattle Square at 9 a.m. yesterday, and escaped with $2700.

The robber, described by police as between 45 and 50, about 5 ft., 6 in. and stocky, walked over to teller Maury Moloney, 22, of Dorchester, showed her his gun, and quietly told her to "Reach for the drawers and hand me all your money."

According to Miss Moloney, the gunman smiled at her as she passed him the money, then slowly walked out of the bank.

Police Detective Dominic Scalese, the investigating officer, reported that after leaving the bank, the thief removed his coat and hat, stuffed them under a parked car, and fled in the direction of Church St. Scalese added that within seven minutes of the crime, 9 detectives and 4 cars full of uniformed policemen were at the scene, only to find that their quarry had escaped.

The treasurer of the bank said that that whole episode "seemed just like a normal transaction," and the half dozen customers and 10 other employees were unaware that a holdup was underway. Even the teller at the next window, Vera Wolhfort, did not know what was happening. The treasurer added that the bank considered the money stolen to be "a limited amount."

Miss Moloney saved the bank nearly $5900 by shoving most of the money to the back of her drawer as she handed a tray with $2700 to the bandit. She later told reporters "If I'd had something handy, I'd have smashed the smile off his face."