Sagging Crimson. Nine Loses to Terriers, 1-0

By Andrew Beyer

Boston University pushed across one run in the fifth inning and beat the Crimson baseball team, 1 to 0, yesterday at Splinter Stadium.

The loss was Harvard's sixth in seven games this year, and it was a heartbreaker for pitcher John Scott. The junior righthander pitched an excellent game, allowing only six singles in eight innings, but his teammates could only collect four hits and frittered away one golden scoring opportunity.

Scott had only given up one hit in the first four innings, but in the fifth he walked B.U.'s Pat Petrone with one out. Jim Wood, the next batter, looped a single into right field, but was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a double. Petrone moved to third on the play, but the threat was seemingly erased as Terrier pitcher Gene McCarthy came to bat next. McCarthy, however, lashed out a single into right field which produced the only run of the game.

McCarthy had been holding Harvard at bay since the first inning, when the Crimson's George Neville and Joe O'Donnell had both singled. But Neville was tagged out at the plate trying to score on O'Donnell's hit.

In the bottom of the seventh, however, McCarthy began to show signs of weakness. He retired leadoff batter Jim Tobin, out only after Tobin had missed an extra base hit when a long blast was carried into foul territory by the wind. O'Donnell walked, and speedster Bobby Leo came in to run for him.

With the count 1-1 on John Dockery, Leo took off for second, and Dockery beited a fly into left-center field. Leo hesitated to see whether the ball would be caught. It dropped safely beyond the reach of the left and center fielders, but Leo had to stop at third while Dockery made it for a stand-up double.

With Leo only 90 feet away from a tie ball game, all the next batter had to do was bit the ball on the ground. Tom Bilo deau took a strike, bunted foul, and then fouled out to the first baseman. At this point B.U.'s ace pitcher Ron Girolimon entered the game and retired pinchhitter Dan Hootstein on a grounder to third, ending the threat. Girolimon mowed down the Crimson with little difficulty in the eighth and ninth innings.