'Operation Match' Draws 32 Cliffies; Pairings of Computer Cupid in Mail

More than 7800 New England college students, including 900 Harvard men and 32 Cliffies will receive the names of their ideal dates tomorrow, as determined by the "Operation Match" computer.

The Radcliffe representation was the smallest of 16 women's colleges in the match-making, but more questionnaires from Harvard were processed than from any other college.

"We conclude that Cliffies are less adventurous than other girls," Vaughn Morrill III '66, an organizer of "Operation Match" said. "They're either satisfied with the comfortable four-to-one ratio here or disdainful of love-by-machine. It doesn't matter. More girls than men applied anyway."

Dartmouth and M.I.T. had the second and third highest numbers of applicants, with each contributing about 300. Smithles poured in 450 questionnaires, the highest among the women's colleges. Vassar submitted 325 applications while B.U. girls sent in 300.

Morrill and his partner, Jeff C. Tarr '66 fed the 75-part questionnaires into an IBM 1401 computer at the State Computer Service, Inc. in Roxbury.

The questionnaire included queries such as "Which means most to you: prestige, security, power, or money?" as well as questions about IQ's, favorite hair color, heroes, relationships with fathers, and sexual experience.

In tallying the responses, the organizers of Operation Match discovered that 65 per cent of the girls preferred security to prestige, money, or power. Forty per cent of the males preferred prestige, 25 per cent wanted security, 15 per cent power, and 10 per cent money.

Eighty per cent of the men reported that they looked first for physical attractiveness in an ideal date. The girls' preferences were divided evenly between desirable personality and physical attractiveness.

Nearly 40 per cent of the males said they had been in love only once, with 25 per cent reporting they had never been in love. A third of the girls claimed they had been in love more than twice and 25 per cent said they had never had a love affair. A few took pains to write that they had "always" been in love.