Hewlett Winds Up 21st in 26-Mile Boston Marathon; Japanese Set Record, Grab Five of First Six Places

Walt Hewlett rode the tall of a swarm of Japanese yesterday to place 21st in the 19th annual Boston Marathon. Staying with the top 20 throughout most of the 4-mile, 385-yard race, Hewlett found the set by the tough international enquries just a bit too much, and had to for a time 16 minutes slower than Shigematau's winning 2:16.33.

Finishing under the shadow of the spectacular new Prudential Center, whose time broke the old course record by two minutes, led a team of Young Japanese to five of the first six places. Only Aurele Vandendriessche of Belgium, the defending champion, managed to sandwich himself amongst the Asian horde. He finished fourth, losing his chance to win his third straight Marathon.

If the five Japanese had not competed yesterday, Hewlett's performance would have been practically identical to last year's, when he placed 16th. His 2:32:31 time yesterday was just ten seconds lower than last year's. Without the Japanese, the winner of the race would have been Vandendriessche, who also repeated his time of last year.

There were others, however, besides Japanese in front of Hewlett. Although he was the first college runner to finish last year's Marathon, Hewlett was passed this year by three other collegians from American University in Maryland, Ohio University, and Buffalo State. The best of the three, John Castagnola of American, placed 13th.

Scheduled to begin in Hopkinton at noon, the race was delayed 15 seconds by false starts from those eager to tell their friends that they had led the Boston Marathon. On the second start Francis Gould sprinted out ahead to capture the brief shining moment.

By the Framingham checkpoint, however, the experts had taken over. Out in front was Boston's John J. Kelley, immediately followed by Vandendrissche, Eino Valle of Finland, Erik Ostbye of Sweden, and, of course, the Japanese.

At the Wellesley halfway point, Canadian Ronald Wallingford took a temporary lead, but Shigematsu, Shishidok, Nakao, Funasako, and Matsubara were now right behind. The Japanese moved on to finish in exactly that order. Wallingford faded back to eleventh, dropping be hind Ostbye at tenth, Valle at ninth; Eino Oksanen, a past winner from Finland, at eighth; and Ralph Buschmann, the leading American in the race, at seventh.

Besides Hewlett, the only other Harvard representatives in the race were two Med School Students, John Weinstein and Howard Robertson, plus a former Dunster House tutor, Erich Segal who finished in the 30's. Now teaching at Yale, Segal gave himself time to run in the Marathon by scheduling an exam and leaving a tutor in charge.