Law School Professor Named Antitrust Chief

Donald F. Turner, professor of Law, was named an assistant attorney general in charge of the Justice Department's antitrust division by President Johnson Yesterday.

In his new position, Turner will oversee government antitrust prosecutions and lead the Justice Department's surveillance of mergers between large between large corporations.

The author of many widely acclaimed law review articles on the problem of regulation, Turner is also co-author with Carl Kaysen, Louis M. Littauer Professor of Political Economy, of Antitrust Policy--An Economic and Legal Analysis.

Turner, who has a Ph.D. in economics as well as an LL.B., has taught courses and seminars in government regulation since joining the Harvard Faculty in 1954.

Before coming to Cambridge, he was a law clerk for United State Supreme Court Justice Thomas C. Clark, and an associate of a Washington law firm which concentrated in regulatory suits.

In, his writings, Turner has been an advocate of strong antitrust laws. In Antitrust Policy he joined Kaysen in developing arguments for the enforcement of antitrust status and in proposing that an, economic criterion of market power be consistently applied in antitrust law.

Turner succeeds William H. Orrick Jr.

Turner will join at least four other Law School Professors now working in Washington. They are Archibald cox '34, solicitor General of the U.S., John McNaughton, assistant secretary of Defense, Stanley S. Surrey, assistant secretary of the Treasury, and James Vorenberg '49, who heads the office of Criminal Justice.