HUC Accepts Controversial House Report

Wants Computer Used In Assigning Students

By James C. Ohls

The Harvard Undergraduate Council yesterday voted to accept a committee report calling for the use of computers as tabulators in the House assignment process.

Under the proposed system, both students and masters would be allowed to state their preferences during the selection process. The final assignments to would then be made by a computer programmed to give equal weight to the masters' and students' preferences and to ensure "maximal satisfaction of preferences."

The plan calls for the use of computers "to tabulate Masters' and students' preferences." It was designed to make possible "the retention of varying House images."

David K. Campbell '66 and Philip K. Hamilton '67, the HUC representatives from Adams House, are the only council members opposed to the proposal. They a recent HUC poll in which 64 percent of the students polled answered "no" the question "Do you favor the use of computers for House assignments?" In recommending the use of a computer, they maintain, the council is going against "a clear student mandate."

Supporters of the plan argue that many students voted against the use of computers because they didn't realize that masters' and students' preferences would still be taken into account.

University officials have said that the present system will be re-evaluated sometime this month. Proponents of the HUC feel that it will preserve as many of the good features of the old system as possible while eliminating much of the administrative work.

The HUC action came during a special meeting called by council president C. Goldfarb Jr. '66. At a regular meeting Monday night, the council had voted delay action on the House assignments for a week to allow time for a second student poll on the question.

Goldfarb called The special meeting early Tuesday morning after it became that there would not be time to a satisfactory poll.