Track Team Leads in Boston Meet; Runners Should Romp in Final Day

By Philip Ardery

The Crimson field performers forged a comfortable lead over stubborn North- yesterday in the Stadium, as the Boston Collegiate track meet its way to the half-way mark.

The runners take over at 4 o'clock with the score Harvard 481/2, North- 39, and B.C., B.U., and Tufts way .

Almost all today's events went according to form. Meet records fell to Crimson testants in the high jump, where shattered John Thomas' mark a 6 ft., 61/2 in, leap, and in the discus, John Bakkensen eclipsed his own with a 163 ft. heave.

Awori registered a third for the Crimson with a 22 ft., 9 1/4 in. jump, the best by a Harvard jump- this spring.

B.C.'s John Fiore notched a meet and medium mark in the hammer throw, billed the afternoon's most exciting event. 194 ft., 11 in. toss provided the glamor, however, as Crimson captain Croasdale managed only a 177 ft., throw, and defending champion Bill did not compete because of a ankle.

Northeastern performers took first places in the shot put, the javelin, and the pole vault. Chunky Carl Wallin over-whelmed minor league opposition in the shot with a 57 ft., 3 2/4 in. heave, a stadium record.

Dave Post scored a expected win in the javelin with a 208 ft., 9 1/2 in. throw. The Crimson's Walt Campbell and Tony Kilkuskie took second and third with tosses in the middle 180's.

Ellis Speath's victory in the pole vault was a mild surprise. The Crimson's Dave Bell just couldn't find the range, and Speath stole first place at a piddling 12 ft., 6 in.

The triple jump was a bigger disappointment. Favored Olufemi Olunloyo failed to qualify for the finals, and the best Harvey Thomas could manage was sixth place. Dick Clarke won it for B.C. with a 44 ft., 81/2 in. leap.

The Crimson lead will grow by leaps and bounds today. Harvard men completely dominated yesterday's trials for the running finals this afternoon.

Tony Lynch paced the qualifiers in the 440-yard hurdles with a 0:54.2 clocking, and Awori registered the fastest time in the 120-highs, 0:14.4.