Schools bound: Pettigrew

By Robert A. Rafsky

Thomas F. Pettigrew, assistant professor of Social Psychology, a White House conference Tuesday that segregated becoming more entrenched in both the North and the South. In a paper prepared for President Johnson's Conference on Pettigrew charged that "many Southern cities are openly striving to emulate the Northern de facto segregation .

increasingly segregated housing patterns have combined with policy of neighborhood schools to foster segregated education on centers throughout the country, Pettigrew declared. "As segregation of schools slow- de facto segregation by increasing," he said.

normal processes of urban -continuing in-migra- Negroes to the Central city migration of whites to the -lead to much the same without conscious plan. Pettigrew said. "In some Central city is beginning of white children in its schools."

pointed out that schools segregated for any rea- contribute to "the enor- the educational hiatus now between Negro and white ."

whites," he declared, "re- interest in the educa- Negroes, only when Negroes in the same schools with large numbers of .