Harvard Skiers Battle Class 'A' In Orvis Slalom

Three skiers from Harvard and one from Radcliffe skied and placed in the Saturday races of the Louise Orvis Slalom Derby, held over the weekend at Big Bromley Vermont.

Peter Carter, Steve Blodgett and Peter Gagarin placed 18, 31 and 33 in the field of 95 racers, 75 of whom were class "A." Greg Peters, also of Harvard, skied, but didn't finish. The four are the Harvard Alpine team's only class "A" skiers. They raced as individuals, not representing the Harvard Ski Team.

Robin Barnes, class "A" skier and Radcliffe sophomore, placed 12 in a class of 30 Saturday in the women's division at Bromley.

The two-day event was won by a Denver University skier, Norwegian Terje Overland, who skied the 55-gate course in less than 50 seconds. Skiers who battled a fast, icy course Saturday, raced in the rain Sunday morning.

Further results from Sunday's races were not available last night. Each skier's standings were computed from his average time for two slaloms each day. Weekend results are calculated from each day's average time.

The Louise Orvis Slalom Derby was the East's first major Alpine race this season. According to Harvard Alpine Captain Peter Gagarin, it was the "stiffest competition expected this year."

Next weekend members of Harvard's Alpine team will compete in the Eastern Giant Slalom Championships at Waterville Valley, N.H. Nordic team members will race in the Hanover Cross Country Relays at Hanover, N.H.