Lions Clobber Fencers, As Usual

By George M. Flesh

mbia's varsity fencers clobbered rd as usual Saturday, 21-6. But time it was a mild surprise.

ach Irving Dekoff's Lions had lost, 2, to the C.C.N.Y. squad which Harvard defeated, 17-10, last month. DeKoff cipated trouble with Harvard, so he mbled his team for practices through Christmas vacation. The Crimson had a day's practice for the match.

The beginning of the first round dam Harvard's confidence. Three of the four bouts were 5-4 wins for Colum Crimson senior Takashi Iwasawa pulled out a 5-4 foil victory, but the swept the round's last four bouts.

wasawa's foil contributed half of Harvard's score by edging Bob Klein, 5-4; John McKay, 5-4; and Dave Nichtern, 5-2. Harvard senior Tom Musliner also downed Nichtern, 5-2. In epee, the Crimson's only win was Brian Keidan's tight 5-4 decision over Marty Saltzman.

Captain Bob Damus came up with Harvard's lone sabre victory, a 5-4 win against Columbia senior Harry Sticker. Damus also fought a hair-raiser in the opening bout of the match with Frank Lowy, all-Ivy and first in the Eastern last year, but lost 5-4.

After the match DeKoff called the Crimson a "good little team," and said t the major difference between the two teams was Columbia's superior self-confidence.

Harvard is now 4-2 for the year and 0-1 Ivy League play.