Loeb May Stop 'Herald' Critic's Reviewing Here

The Loeb Drama Center may stop inviting reviewers from the Boston Herald to Harvard theatrical productions, Douglas Schwalbe, publicity director of the Loeb, said yesterday.

Protest

The Loeb is considering such action in protest of the failure of Samuel Hirsch, drama critic of the Herald, to review Galileo which is currently playing at the Charles Playhouse.

Schwalbe said that the directors of the Loeb had expressed their concern over Hirsch's action. The newspaper plays an important role in theatre; a failure to meet its responsibilities, he added, is a serious matter.

More Time

No final decision will be made, Schwalbe said, until more is known about the reasons for Hirsch's action.

The controversy between the Herald and the Charles began on January 19 when Hirsch did not review the opening performance of the new play. Frank Sugrue, managing director of the Charles, accused Hirsch of "managing" the theatre news.

Biggest Production

The Charles is particularly annoyed, he said, since Galileo is the biggest and most elaborate production they have ever undertaken.

The production received favorable reviews in the other Boston newspapers.

First Oversight

"This is the first time in the nine year history of the Charles Theatre that a new production has not been reviewed in every major Boston newspaper," Sugrue said.

Hirsch, who has been writing reviews for the Herald since January 1, 1966, said although the Charles is an important theatre, there is more than one theatre in Boston and none deserves special treatment.