Harvard Alone Atop Ivy League, Yale Defeated in Closing Minutes

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

Probably the two most evenly matched football games of the season were played last Saturday, and the outcome of both could bring nothing but smiles to the face of Coach John Yovicsin.

Harvard and Cornell both won victories in the last two minutes of play, toppling Dartmouth and Yale from the Ivy undefeated ranks. That leaves Harvard all alone on top of the League, and although the season is a long way from complete, the worst is over.

Yale has been on the verge of becoming a major Ivy threat this year, but its 16-14 loss to Cornell showed that it is not quite up to the calibre of Harvard or Dartmouth. Twice now, the Elis have faced reasonably decent opponents, and on both occasions a field goal has outdone them. Yale's other defeat was a 17-14 loss to Rutgers.

Cornell Slips By Yale

Cornell, unaffected by last week's 21-0 loss to Harvard, scored first against Yale on a seven-yard pass from Bill Abel to Ron Gervase--exactly the same play that was nullified by a penalty against Harvard. Yale's Don Barrows evened the score at 7-7 on a one-yard plunge, only to have Pete Larson break an Ivy record by taking the following kickoff 99 yards for a score.

Eli quarterback Pete Doherty passed 49 yards to Bob Kenny to give Yale a 14-13 third-quarter lead, which remained intact until Pete Zogby kicked a 20-yard field goal with 2:12 left in the game.

Doherty, passing for 304 yards, set a League record for completions (24) and attempts (42). Maybe Brian Dowling should forget rejoining the team when his knee heals. Yale gained only 44 yards on the ground, however.

Princeton finally exhibited a little offensive punch last Saturday, defeating Penn 30-13. The Tigers, moving consistently, scored four touchdowns on the ground, rushed for 263 yards, and picked up 22 first downs. Penn's defense was as loose as it was the week before against Bucknell.

In outside games, Brown was over-powered by Colgate, 48-7, while Columbia almost upset Rutgers, 37-34.

Rutgers over Columbia

Rutgers trailed 27-20 going into the final period. Jim Dullin kicked a 20-yard field goal to put Rutgers ahead, 30-27, with three minutes remaining. With 45 seconds left, Columbia's Marty Domres passed to Rich Brown for a seven-yard score. Not to be outdone, Rtuger's Fred Eckert passed to Jack Emmer for a seven-yard touchdown with 14 seconds remaining. That was all, however.

Colgate did not gain a single yard through the air while defeating Brown, 48-7, but picked up 423 yards on the ground. Ivy Standings   W  L Harvard  3  0 Dartmouth  2  1 Yale  2  1 Cornell  2  1 Princeton  2  1 Penn  1  2 Columbia  0  3 Brown  0  3