Soccer Team Suffers First Loss; Amherst Backs Stop Crimson, 2-0

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Amherst parlayed a pair of fast breaks and one of New England's most rockribbed defenses to a 2-0 win over the Harvard soccer team in the rain at Soldiers Field Saturday morning. The loss evened Harvard's record at 1-1, with one game at Williams remaining before the Ivy season opens.

The Crimson offense never got going, while the Lord Jeffs' Jaffer Kassam all set up a goal by his right wing in the second quarter and the clincher by his left wing in the third.

The ice-breaker came at 11:23 of the second period after Harvard's defense was caught upfield. Kassamali picked up a long pass at midfield and bore down on the Harvard goal alone.

Crimson fullback Dave Wright caught up with Kassamali and rode off the dangerous Tanzanian before he could shoot Kassamali kept control of the ball, however, and after a little footwork he rolled across a perfect center which the charging Rob Sherman smashed in from ten feet.

Amherst's second goal, at 19:51 of the second half, also came when the Crimson fullbacks were out of position and slow in checking back. Kassamali, with his back to the goal, kicked the ball over his head past the Harvard defense and George Stuckless got off a clear shot from his left wing position. Rich Hammond was covering the near side of the goal, but the Amherst wing's left-footed shot hit the cords on the far side.

Few Shots

Outside of these two goals, neither team could mount much of an attack. Harvard's forwards and halfbacks worked the ball around with control and skill, but around isn't in. No matter now many defenders they got around, there was always one more backing up the play.

Amherst's three fullbacks are an experienced unit, and it was their interaction as much as their individual ability which stopped the Harvard forwards. In addition Amherst often dropped a halfback back to form an impregnable four-some between Harvard and the Lord Jeff goalie.

The Crimson's only hope was to use long, through passing, but the home team players' reliance on dribbling and short passing allowed the Jeffs' mighty defense time to set up.

For Harvard, Tony Marks did a good job covering Kassamali most of the game, Andy Kydes held the team together, and fullback Dave Wright played his best game ever; but it's not their responsibility to score goals.