Radcliffe Limits Sit-Down Meals

The debatable grace of the traditional sit-down meal is being largely forfeited at Radcliffe this year for lack of takers.

The passing of still one more remnant of gracious living was marked last Thursday when, in response to sparse turnouts, North and South House Committees decided to limit sit-downs to Wednesday night.

Until this year, the waitress-served meals, which began promptly at 6 p.m., were the rule in every Radcliffe dorm. But as an economy measure this fall, only one dorm in each of the three Houses continued the tradition. The others served buffet, Harvard style, which turned out to be so popular that Cliffies grumbled about being forced to eat sit-down because of overcrowding in the buffet dining rooms.

Matter Of Definition

Gracious living, they are quick to point out, is after all a matter of definition.

Cliffies objected to two things about the old system: the inflexible dinner hour, and the fact that fellow students (usually freshmen) had to do the serving. Giles Constable '50, Head of North House, noted yesterday that such meals "sacrifice all the essence of gracious living to sitting down."