Leaders Stomp Also-Rans; Ivy Gels Into Old Pattern

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

All was dull in the Ivy League last Saturday, as the favorites won, and an old League pattern seemed to be setting in again.

In the last six years neither Harvard nor Princeton has finished below third in the League, and only once in the last ten years has Dartmouth finished below third.

At the other end of the ladder, there is Penn and Brown, who haven't made the first division in seven years. In the middle, you can pluck Yale, Cornell, and Columbia in any order.

There were faint hopes for a while Saturday that Yale or Brown might upset the hierarchy, but in the end it still remained Harvard, Dartmouth, Princeton--and Cornell.

At the end of three quarters in Providence, Brown trailed Princeton by only 10-7. Then Dave Martin ran for touchdowns of five and three yards to culminate two 80-yard Princeton drives. The Tigers won 24-7. Martin, a speedy fullback who missed Princeton's first few games because of an injury, picked up 71 yards in 10 carries.

Sophomore tailback Dick Bracken, however, was the big rusher of the day with 131 yards in 18 carries. Now that its whole backfield is intact, Princeton in the last few weeks has been more consistent on the offense. Against Brown, the Tigers accumulated 346 yards on the ground.

Brown's sophomore quarterback Jack McMahon, out most of the season with an injury, provided the sole penetration of Princeton's tight defense with a 32-yard scoring pass to Greg Konton.

Yale, guided by Pete Doherty's two touchtown passes, jumped ahead of Dartmouth, 7-0, in the first period and then trailed by 14-13 at halftime. The Eli defense had trouble containing quarterback Mickey Beard's tricky running, passing, and last-second lateraling. He passed for scores of 15 and 10 yards to Randy Wallick and Paul Klungess, who wasn't supposed to play again last Saturday because of an injury.

Columbia had its hopes up Saturday for its first win of the season. Three fumbles and three interceptions, however, tended to subdue any wild thoughts of victory over Cornell. Despite its bungles, Columbia trailed by only 10-0 at halftime, but then Cornell ripped off three touchdowns right after intermission and coasted to a 31-6 win. Cornell halfback Pete Larson scored three times, on runs of two and 25 yards and on a 34-yard pass from quarterback Bill Abel.