Spring Strength Fails Fall Crew

Crimson coach Harry Parker didn't put all his strength in any one boat as Harvard crews failed to show their usual superiority in the Head of the Charles Regatta held here Sunday.

Parker preferred to stay within his training schedule of not picking varsity boats until the spring and subsequently the only winning Harvard crews were the senior fours and the junior eights.

The fours won against several strong crews, including national champion -- Union Boat Club. The Harvard boat included three members of the United States team who participated in the World Rowing Championships in Yugoslavia last month, Andy Larkin, Paul Silk, and Bill Welbach. The fourth man Ned Lawson was a member of the Harvard junior varsity last spring.

The Harvard lightweight sophomores captured the junior eight-oared shell title by defeating crews from Lowell Tech, Vesper, a Kirkland House squad, and another Crimson entry.

In two of the biggest events, Harvard boats placed fourth. Wisconsin's Intercollegiate Rowing Association champions defeated the three Harvard heavy eights, and a Penn crew won the lightweight eight race.

Individual Harvard entries in the single sculls but in impressive performances. Varsity captain Jake Fiechter pulled in a close second in the college singles. Fiechter later stroked one of the senior eights.

Arthur B. Smithies, Master of Kirkland House, placed a respectable fourth in the veteran singles.