Harvard Helps to Restore Flood-Stained Italian Art

Harvard's Fine Arts Department is leading national efforts to supply men and money for the restoration of art objects damaged by the recent Italian floods.

Sidney J. Freedberg, professor of Fine Arts, was named vice-chaiman of the Committee for the Rescue of Italian Art, which is trying to raise part of the $130 million needed to restore art treasures in Northern Italy.

James S. Ackerman, professor of Fine Arts, is coordinating work in the Boston area. He said last night that although no Harvard funds can be contributed, the Fine Arts Department will try to send trained personnel to help with the work as soon as inundated areas are open and communications are restored. A group of graduate students in the department has already volunteered to help raise funds for the restoration.

Florence sustained the greatest losses and is still partially under receding flood waters. Freedberg said that 350 paintings of "major importance" and about 600 of lesser value had been damaged in the city's Uffizi Gallery. The destruction was not confined to paintings, frescoes, and sculpture, but also included books, manuscripts, and valuable instruments in several museums.

The Harvard-sponsored Center for Italian Renaissance Studies at the Villa I Tatti has already made a significant contribution to the art rescue operations by washing 130,000 negatives saved from the otherwise destroyed photographic department in the basement of the Uffizi Gallery. The negatives were at first though to be beyond repair.

Freedman emphasized that haste is of extreme importance in such work. If stains are allowed to dry, they may permanently discolor an object.