Brown Takes Soccer Title

While the football team was winning a share of the Ivy title, the Harvard soccer squad lost its chance for a first place tie as Brown defeated Columbia, 3-0. Saturday.

Brown's victory, its eighteenth straight in Ivy competition, gave the Bruins the championship with a record of seven wins and no losses. Harvard came in second, with six wins including a 4-1 triumph over Yale Friday. Its only loss was to Brown by 2-0 on Nov. 12.

The Bruins jumped ahead early with a first quarter score by Jesse Jupiter, and held the slim lead through the half, despite sloppy play in the wind and cold at Columbia. Two quick goals late in the third period, by John Claflin and Ben Brewster put the game out of reach and ensured Brown its fourth straight Ivy League soccer title.

Brown dominated play, keeping Columbia from taking any shots in the second and fourth periods and allowing only five during the game. The Bruins, meanwhile, peppered the Lion's goal with a total of 25 shots.

The Ivy League can expect at least one more year of trouble from Providence. The entire backfield will return next season, as well as five experienced forwards. Brown's loses only one star through graduation -- Gary Kaufman, the league's second highest scorer this year with six goals and one assist.

A strong freshman squad will supply additional talent to next year's team, including a forward who scored 21 times in the freshmen's 11 games. The Brown yearlings have won 33 consecutive games, last losing to Harvard in 1963. Soccer Standings   W  L  T Brown  7  0  0 Harvard  6  1  0 Pennsylvania  4  2  1 Columbia  4  2  1 Yale  3  3  1 Dartmouth  1  5  1 Princeton  0  5  2 Cornell  0  6  1