Freshman Writes Harvard Feature For N.Y. 'Times'

Stereotypes are made and not born, and anyone who ever doubted it will have only to look at the cover of the New York Times Magazine's December 4 issue.

The cover will feature a "typical Harvard-Radcliffe bull session," carefully staged on Monday in the Matthews South dwelling of Steven J. Kelman '70. Kelman, the poet laureate of the freshman class, has published political articles in Harper's The Saturday Evening Post, and the New Leader. His analysis of his Harvard classmates--"they don't know where they're going, but they know they'll get there"--will appear along with his cover picture in the Times Magazine next week.

Attending the bull session were ten boys and half as many girls, most handpicked from the Freshman Register. Apparently the photographer thought the group looked too bland, because he scouted the decor of other rooms in the entry until he found a wall-size collage of nudes. It served as a back-drop, covering the staid maps which usually adorn Kelman's walls.

But still the photographer was not satisfied. "You look too uniform, too uniform," he groaned to the group, directing one clean-cut type to take his shoes off and another to put his feet on the desk.

The picture-taking session lasted about half an hour. Toward the end, a girl who had received a vague invitation to the gathering called Kelman to find out what was happening. "Why don't you come over?" he said. "There's a Times photographer here who'll take your picture."

"Don't believe it," another model shouted into the phone. "Whatta line. These freshmen will use anything to get a girl in their room."