Freshman Sextet to Meet Unbeaten Andover Squad

Harvard Boasts 12-2 Record

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Nat Harris's freshman hockey team, boasting an impressive 12-2 record, faces off against undefeated Andover, the top secondary school hockey team in New and, at 4 p.m. in Watson Rink today. In addition to being a real corker, the game will provide a golden scouting opportunity for all those varsity hockey fans who, frustrated by Monday's Beanpot debacle, have begun to look forward to next few years.

The freshmen, on the strength of two high-scoring lines and a brilliant goalie, have outscored their opposition, 39-22. Their only losses came at the hands of Boston College, 2-4, and New Hampshire. 0-1; and the Yardlings avenged the first one when they dropped the Eagiets from the undefeated ranks in January, 3-2.

The opportunity of watching goalie Bill Diercks in action is alone worth the walk down to Watson (admission is free). From Edina, Minnesota, where he was coached by one of the greatest amateur goalies in American hockey history, Diercks is quick, confident, and bold--a stand-up goalie who is already expert at cutting down shooters' angles.

The first line is composed of three local products: George Murphy, Barry Johnson, and Pete Mueller. Murphy is the team's leading scorer with 32 points.

Otness Returns

The scond line has been equally potent, led by center Bobby Bauer, whose 30 points include an overtime goal that best Princeton, 7-6, a week and a half ago. Captain Jim Otness, a teammate of Diercks at Edina-Morningside High, will be playing his first game since he separated his shoulder at Princeton. Rounding out the line with Bauer and Otness is Dwight Ware, who shot home the winner in the second B.C. match.

Another Minnesotan. Tom Micheletti, has developed into the Crimson's top defenseman since he was moved back from forward last month. The other leading defensemen are Mike Fenollosa, Tony Kotnik, and Charlie Peiper, who may miss today's game with the flu.

Harvard Prep?

Phillips Academy, Andover, which has contributed Dennis McCullough, Jack Garrity, Jorge Gonzalez, and Dex Newton to this year's Crimson varsity, presently boasts four of Massachusetts' top schoolboy hockey players -- all of whom have applied to Harvard.

Phillipian captain Chris Gurry is a strong aggressive defenseman, who has starred against college freshmen for four years at Andover. The first line, one of the best sub-college-varsity units any-where, is composed of All-Prep Skip Freeman, and Dick Delaney and Jack Turco, who were All-State selections last year for Walpole and Melrose High respectively.