Late GSAS Scholarship Applicants Not Likely to Get Departmental Aid

STUDENTS IGNORANT OF DEADLINE

Students in the Graduate School of Arts and Science who have been disqualified from scholarship consideration because of late applications are not likely to get any help from their departments in arranging other financial aid.

While graduate students continue to complain of the inequity of the strict enforcement of the Jan. 10 deadline, department chairmen have told the CRIMSON that the cutoff has not caused them much concern.

"We've never had any trouble keeping the people we want in our department," said Oscar Handlin, acting chairman of the History department. He said that he had not yet heard of any graduate students in History who had missed the deadline.

Arthur A. Maass, chairman of the Government department, said that he knew of at least one student in Government who had missed the deadline. "I don't see how we can do anything about it," Maass said. Our scholarship applications are all handled by the Committee on Scholarships."

Herschel C. Baker, chairman of the English department, said that although he knew of no students in English who had missed the deadline, such students would not automatically be given compensatory aid.

"If the student is worthy and if we have enough teaching fellowships, he would be considered on his merits," Baker said.

"We would certainly not throw our students out in the snow, but it would be no great recommendation that they hadn't filed their applications on time Graduate school is a very competitive racket," he added.

Several graduate students who complained to the CRIMSON said that the Committee on Scholarship and Other Aids to Graduate Students was a "use less intermediary" between the departments and the students. They noted that the departments do the actual rating of applicants and that the Committee merely follows departmental rankings.

Maass, however, commented, "I thank God that the GSAS handles applications and admissions for us. We couldn't pos-for admission to our department each sibly handle them all. Hundreds apply year and only about 35 can be accepted."

Students have said that the January 10 deadline was poorly publicized. "We got no information on this," said one student whose application was rejected. "None. My situation was simple ignorance, not negligence."