Varsity Sextet Travels to Princeton, Looks for Second Victory in League

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The Harvard hockey team looks like fair fodder for an upset at Princeton Saturday afternoon.

The Crimson, playing considerably below par, outclassed the Tigers in Buffalo last month 6 to 3 Normally, it would have no trouble with the Nassau icemen, but this time the contingent of New Jersey based Canadians will have everything going for them.

First, there is Harvard's 18-day Iny-off. Exams kept some of Coach Cooney Welland's boys completely off the ice, and the whole squad will have had only three days of practice together before the game.

Princeton, on the other hand, returned to action a week earlier. Last Saturday the Tigers knotted a 4-4 tie with Dartmouth, two weeks after edging the Green 5 to 4, at Hanover. A non-collegiate contest with the St. Nicholas Club last night should hone the Princeton blades to a fine edge for the Crimson.

The Tigers, playing a spoiler's role in the Ivy League this winter, would like nothing better than to avenge their earlier loss and add a Crimson notch to a stock that already has marked on it the Ivy upset of the year, 6 to 5 over defending champion Brown.

For Harvard, however, this game falls in the shadow of the prestigious Beanpot Tournament, which opens in the Boston Garden two nights later.

Tickets are going fast for the Beanpot opener, which pits the Crimson against a Northeastern sextet that was the hottest team in New England during January. The other semi-final pairs Boston College, bolstered by returning Jack Cuniff and Phil Dyer, with Boston University, which suffered its first Eastern loss to Colgate last Saturday.