Skaters Vie With Brown For Ivy 2nd Place Tonight

Second place in the Ivy League is at stake at 8 p.m. tonight when the Harvard hockey team takes on Brown at Watson Rink. The Bruins, who won the title last year, edged the Crimson, 4.3, in overtime at Providence last December, but will be up against a different foe tonight.

The big change will be in the defense, where Coach Cooney Welland will probably use Bob Clark with Dennis Clark and Bob Carr with Tag Demment. Demment and Dennis Clark weren't with the varsity for the first Brown game, and Bobby Clark was injured early in the second period.

Weiland has also juiced up his offense by concocting a third line of Pete Miller, Ben Smith and Gordie Price.

Tough Task

Beating Brown, however, will not be easy, no matter how much new blood Welland has infused or how much adrenalin remains from Saturday's Cornell game. The Crimson, 3.3 in Ivy play as is Brown, looked outclassed by the bigger Bruins in their first encounter. How much of that disparity was due to the advantages of home ice and greater experience that Brown then held, will become apparent tonight.

Captain Bruce Darling, the Ivies' top scorer last year, and hard-hitting linemate Dennis Macks (at 5 ft., 10 in., 195 pounds.) lead Brown in scoring. Wayne Small, from Ontario as are Darling and Macks, centers the speedy sophomore line in Coach Jim Fullerton's fast-breaking offense.

Defenseman Bob Gaudreau plays like the All-America he is, and Dave Ferguson is quick and sure in the nets.

Tickets may be obtained at 60 Boylston St. until 5 p.m.