Davis Will Study Education in Vietnam

Russell G. Davis, associate director of the Center for Studies in Education and Development, will go to Vietnam this spring as a member of a mission to study its needs in health and education. He was appointed by John W. Gardner, Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare.

The members of the mission will spend eight to ten days in South Vietnam evaluating the programs already in progress and determining what new programs are necessary for social and economic development. Francis Keppel, U.S. Commissioner of Education and former dean of the School of Education will head the subgroup on education, in which Davis will take part; Surgeon General Luther Hodges will be in charge of the subgroup studying health problems.

Although education in Vietnam has developed surprisingly since 1954, Davis said yesterday, he feels that non-academic education, such as industrial training and perhaps an apprentice system, must be emphasized.

He added that Vietnam needs "some way for the economy to generate the kinds of jobs people with training can fill, without massive infusions of U.S. money. As long as the people have to stay on the farms, there can't be any development."

Davis feels strongly, however that the United States should devote more effort to economic and social development in Vietnam. "Vietnam needs to become economically viable, to develop human resources--otherwise it won't prosper no matter who's running it."