Yale Could Add Women's College

NEW HAVEN, Conn., March 14--The Yale corporation has expressed strong but qualified interest in exploring the possibility of bringing a "co-ordinate" women's college to Yale.

Kingman Brewster Jr., president of Yale, announced after the Corporation's meeting last Saturday that "the corporation recognizes the need for high quality education for women and is interested in exploring how Yale might contribute to meeting this need beyond what it already does through its graduate professional schools."

But Brewster cautioned that the statement merely constituted a go-ahead to further exploration and discussion of the possibility, rather than an official decision to open Yale to women.

Sources in the Yale administration said Sunday that it was fair to expect a careful examination of the need for, and feasibility of, a "co-ordinate" women's school, similar to the Harvard-Radcliffe system. However, they stressed that Brewster has not yet decided the scope and form of the investigation.

The corporation would prefer the "co-ordinate" college approach rather than an actual expansion of Yale College to include women.

Furthermore, Brewster said, the corporation would not favor admitting women if it meant reducing the number of men in Yale College, and insisted that the addition of women would have to be underwritten by "sufficient funds to maintain the quality of the university."

Although the corporation has discussed co-education before, this is the first time it has considered the subject officially.