Senior Cavorts With Glamor Girl To Celebrate Match's Birthday

The computer came through Saturday for David Davis '66 when it paired him with Cathy Carpenter, Glamer model and Miss Match of 1966.

Operation Match was celebrating its anniversary this weekend, and had invited Miss Carpenter from New York for the festivities. Davis was chosen Friday night as her "ideal date" and won the privilege of escorting her through a day of parties and publicity pictures.

Davis met his date, a full-time model for Glamer magazine and a former Sarah Lawrence student, at the airport Saturday noon. They came to Cambridge for some photographs around the Yard, and then spent the rest of the afternoon at a press party in Boston. One match official described the party as a "happening--very spontaneous because of the open bar we operated."

The couple then rushed back to the airport for some publicity pictures missed the first time. They ate dinner at Anthony's, spent an hour at the Eliot House dance, and went up to Davis' room for what he called "some cozy shots."

Davis said he "went into this thing with a cynical viewpoint," convinced that "it would be an embarrassing contest to see who could make the best forced conversation." He came out a computer convert, insisting that Cathy was "a damn nice girl."

The Match men also congratulated their machine on its second choice for Cathy. He was Thomas N. Patch '66 who had actually dated the model before.

Operation Match had reason to celebrate. Their business has grown into a nationally publicized computer-date fad in just a year. Match has received 30,000 completed forms in the last two weeks and hopes for 200,000 before the school year ends.