Master Plans Year's Leave From House

Parry Is Chosen As Interim Master

Alwin M. Pappenheimer Jr. '29, Master of Dunster House, will take a leave of absence next year. During his year off, J.H. Parry, Gardiner Professor of Oceanic History and Affairs, will serve as Acting Master.

Pappenheimer, a professor of Biology, says he will spend next year "getting caught up" in his research and writing. In October, he will present a paper on "The Biology of an Infectious Disease" at an international symposium on bacterial toxins in Prague. Then he will go to Osnka University in Japan where he will spent a few weeks doing microbiological research with a former student.

For the remainder of the academic year, Pappenheimer will continue research on immuno-chemistry at the University of California at La Jolla or in his laboratory in Cambridge. He also hopes to write several papers on the research on "the action of bacterial toxins" he has done in the past three years.

Parry said last night that he did not contemplate any changes in the Administration of the house. Rather, he said, he would try to "maintain continuity" during his tenure.

Parry, an authority on the Spanish and Portuguese empires in America, came to Harvard last fall from the University of Wales where he was vice-chancellor. From 1956 to 1960 he was principal of University College, in Ibadan, Nigeria, now the University of Ibadan.

This year, Parry is giving two courses: History 174, the Spanish Empire in America from 1492 to 1825, and a graduate seminar, History 231a, European Oceanic Discovery: Trade and Settlement from 1450 to 1650.

Among his published works are The Age of Reconnaisance, printed in 1963 which traces exploration and colonization in America, and The Spanish Seaborne Empire, published this year.