Weiland Looking to New Arrivals To Bring 1966 Golfers up to Par

Varsity golfers, who have to practice furtively behind the B-School, drive 40 miles to play the "home" course, and pay traveling expenses out of their own pockets, find that life on the Harvard golf team is far from glamorous.

But personal inconveniences are only a few of the golf team's worries this season. "It's going to be tough to duplicate last year's record," says Coach Cooney Weiland. The squad went 10 and 3 in 1965, losing only to Yale, Penn, and Navy.

Weiland doesn't know if juniors Ramer Holton and Bob Sinclair can fill the shoes of Jim Campen and Jim Buchanan, who graduated last year. Holton and Sinclair have not played for Harvard since their freshman year, when they alternated in the number one and two positions.

But the rest of the team looks strong. Five returning lettermen, led by Captain Mike Millis, will bolster the nine man squad. Steve Bergman, who notched an eight and five record in the number five spot last year, could give Brian McGuinn a battle for the first position.

McGuinn, a two handicap junior, played number one for several matches last year. Seniors Wayne Thornbrough and John Hawkins round out the returning lettermen.

Jim Torhorst and Bob Kidder, who played one and two as freshmen last year, and Bob Schnitz, a junior, will join Holton, Sinclair and the returning letter winners for spring practice in Charleston, S.C., beginning April 1. Seven of these ten will win permanent positions after trials in Charleston. The other three will compete for the remaining two spots with anyone else who wants to try out for the team.

Same Old Matches

The golfers play the same eleven matches they played last year -- mostly against regional and Ivy League opponents.

The season opens against Navy, April 8 at Annapolis. Weiland is not optimistic about his squad's chances against Navy -- one of the stronger teams in the East.

Penn and Princeton will be a threat as always, and the match against Yale is usually a lost cause: the team hasn't won against Yale in eight years. Since the clash is at the Yale Golf Course, Harvard's task will be no easier. But look at the swimming team...

In addition to the eleven matches, the squad competes in the Greater Boston Golf Tournament, which Harvard should be favored to win, and also in the Eastern Collegiates.

Officially Golf became a major sport last year, so now the team members do not quite pay for everything themselves. But Harvard facilities are still meager: a one-man practice net in Dillon Field House. The team practices at The Country Club in Brookline and plays at the Myopia Hunt Club, 45 minutes from Cambridge. As a result, golfers are continually looking for some new illicit place to knock out a few balls.

Probably most of the team's inconveniences can be attributed to the University's failure to buy the Belmont Country Club in the thirties.