Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Former Harvard President Bacow, Maria Ressa to Receive Honorary Degrees at Commencement

‘A’ Game: How Harvard Recruits its Student-Athletes

Interim Harvard President Alan Garber Takes the Political Battle to Washington

Koufax, Drysdale Refuse to Accept Dodger Contract

Pitchers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale turned down the Los Angeles Dodgers' "final" contract offer of $210,000 today.

The two pitchers announced a month that they would negotiate their 1966 contract together. They reportedly asked for one million dollars over a three year period; each would receive $500,000.

Last week, after an initial stalemate, the pitchers agreed to negotiate. The Dodgers' General Manager E.J. Bavasi flew to Los Angeles today and upped original offer to Koufax from $100,000 $12,000 and his offer to Drysdale $35,000 to $97,000.

Bill Hayes, attorney for the two pitchers, turned down Bavasi's offer. "It simply a matter of economics--not enough money," he said.

Bavasi then called Walter O'Malley in Vero Beach, Fla., and they agreed $210,000 for both was the highest would offer. Dodger officials wished pitchers well in other fields.

Stan Musial, one of the first baseball players to earn $100,00, said today that demands of Drysdale and Koufax not entirely unreasonable, but he doubled that the two would get a joint contract.

"I don't think Walter O'Malley and Buzzie Bavasi will go for this sort of thing," Musial said.