Marchers Dump Grapes in Harbor; Schenley Fruitpickers' Strike Ends

About 250 marchers gave a new twist to the Boston Tea Party April 2 by dumping a crate of grapes into Boston Harbor in support of the grapepickers' strike in Delano Valley, Calif.

The strike of Mexican-American farm-workers' came to a successful conclusion Wednesday when Schenley Industries, the major producer of grapes in the valley, recognized the National Farm-workers' Association as the laborer's bargaining representative.

The march and a boycott of Schenley products sold in the Boston area was organized by a number of student and ethnic groups in an effort to attract national attention to the strike.

More police than at any other recent demonstration guarded the marchers as they walked from Park St. MBTA Station to Boston Harbor.

Police guards, along with the presence of two priests at the head of the march, and a Spanish-American woman carrying a large picture of Our Lady of Guadeloupe, the grapepickers' patron saint, prevented any outbreak of violence.

After the grapes were dumped, police arrested Donald Hafkenny, an employee of the Dudley St. Action Center run by the Students for a Democratic Society for littering. Hafkenny had thrown the grapes into the harbor by himself, but two other marchers gave their names to the police. They were also charged with littering.