Golf Team Beats Two Easy Foes In Tight Match

The weather was raw and the greens were lumpy, and the golf team just squeaked past two perennial weaklings. It was an unpleasant afternoon.

But Harvard did win yesterday. In simultaneous matches Amherst bowed four and one-half to one and one-half, and Tufts went down kicking, four to three.

Captain Mike Millis and Bob Kidder, the best putters on the team, couldn't negotiate the Milton Hoosic Golf Course's chewed-up greens. Beween them they dropped four points.

Jim Torhorst, who was supposed to play number five, didn't show up. And alternate Bob Schnitz got to play in his second match. He made a good showing, too, whipping his Tufts opponent, five and four, and halving--his Amherst match.

There were other bright spots. Brian McGuinn swept both his matches, playing even par on the last ten holes. John Hawkins fired a sub-80 round and crushed his two opponents, five and four.

The Amherst match was over quickly. Harvard built up a good lead, despite Kidder's and Millis's losses, and then coasted home.

Tufts hung on longer. But Harvard's Wayne Thornborough, who was the only man to win against Navy, parred 16 and 17 to break a tie and gain the one-point victory.

Highly-touted Bill Carroll only played number two for Tufts. He needed a miraculous left-handed shot out of the woods on 17 to beat game Mike Millis.

Tomorrow, the Crimson faces M.I.T., and Harvard Coach Cooney Weiland has decided to switch the positions of Steve Bergman, now number five, and Kidder, now four. Weiland expects the rest of the lineup to be the same and hopes that Torhorst will end his Florida vacation sometime soon.

Weiland really wasn't too upset about his team's showing yesterday. "They played well enough to win" he said. He was right.