Writer Carter Wilson Appointed First Briggs-Copeland Lecturer

Carter Wilson '63, author of the beat selling novel Crazy February, will come to Harvard next fall as an instructor in English C and Gen Ed A.

Moaroe Engel '42, lecturer in English, said yesterday that Wilson will hold a two-year Briggs-Copeland Lectureship in English and General Education. Engel said the 24-year old author will teach one section of English C and one advanced section of Gen Ed A.

Crazy February. Wilson's first novel, is about an Indian tribe living in Southern Mexico. The book was published earlier this year and received enthusiastic reviews. One critic compared Wilson to Graham Greene.

Wilson is the first to hold the Briggs-Copeland Lectureship, instituted this year to attract new writers to Harvard. Engel said that one or more identical appointments may be made for 1967-68.

The new lectureship program "creates new possibilities for appointments." Engel said because the recipient is not required to hold an advanced degree or in take graduate work while at Harvard.

"The hope of this appointment." Eagel said, "is to give the recipient a maximum of free time." Briggs-Capeland lecturers will not be required to write during their two-year stay, but "these people are writers and presumably that is what they will wart to do," Engel said. "What they need from us is not encouragement but non-interference."

While at Harvard. Wilson wrote the book and lyrics for the Hasty Pudding Theatrical productions No. 113 and No. 114. He was graduated cum laude in English History, and Literature.

Wilson is currently a lecturer in English at Stanford University.