Boston Police Require Four Times Usual Protection for SDS 'Concert'

Boston Police Department has decided to provide the SDS People for Peace concert with four times the police protection normally required for a Back Bay Theater performance. The additionl services will cost SDS $461.

Boston law requires concert promoters provide police protection to secure a license for their exhibitions. Concerts at Back Bay Theatre are usually covered by five policeman and one sergeant. The Wednesday night concert, twenty-policemen, two sergeants, and a lieutenant will guard the inside of the theatre.

The SDS has asked the Boston Police Department to reduce the protection requirement, but members contacted yesterday said they didn't expect the original decision to be changed since it was made at the highest levels of the Department.

"They'll Take Bows"

"I don't even know where we're going to put them all," Harvard SDS treasurer Michael S. Ansara '68 said last night. "Maybe we could line them up on stage to take bows between songs."

Police Commissioner Edmund L. McNamara determined how many should be assigned to keep order at the concert after the question had been passed upstairs by five subordinates, according to the Rev. Richard E. Mumma.

"The Department doesn't want to be criticized for underprotecting," sources speculated last night, "especially after they received national criticism for what happened to the CNVA protestors at the South Boston court house."

The Boston Police Department could not be reached last night for comment. They have not told SDS what plans have been made for guarding the outside of the theatre. The SDS pays only for policemen stationed inside.

The cost of police protection will probably equal about 10 per cent of SDS's net profits for the event.