Stickmen Mauled By Tigers, 9-4; Streak Continues

Harvard kept a 40-year tradition intact Saturday by losing to the Princeton lacrosse team, 9-4.

The Crimson have not defeated the Tiger stickmen since 1925--a year in which the Washington Senators won the American League pennant.

For the first 15 minutes of the game the fans at Soldiers Field thought Harvard was going to break the Tiger jinx. Princeton scored in the opening minute, but Harvard scored right back. Ted Leary tied the score for the Crimson on a close-in shot after the team had controlled the ball for a full minute in the Tiger zone.

Harvard continued to dominate play for the rest of the quarter, but managed to miss the goal on numerous shots. The Tiger goalie had to make only three saves, and the score remained 1-1 until the opening of the second period.

Then the roof fell in for the Crimson.

At the nine-second mark Princeton attackman Bob Mueller took a pass right off the faceoff from his left wing end whipped the ball past goalie Ron Wilson for what probably was the most demoralizing if not the fastest goal scored on Harvard for a long time.

After that the Crimson stickmen would have been just as effective sitting on the bench for the rest of the second quarter. Princeton broke the game wide open with four more tallies, while Harvard failed to score.

Harvard posted a goose egg in the third quarter too but the defense tightened and held the Tigers to only two tallies.

With the score now 8-1, the Tiger coach sat back and sent in the second-string goalie for the fourth period. Harvard rallied with three goals, two by Larry Palmer and the other by Jan Bollinger, to make the score somewhat respectable.