Crimson Tips Holy Cross With 2 Runs in Thirteenth

Bob Lincoln won his own game with a two-run single in the top of the thirteenth inning as the Harvard baseball team edged Holy Cross 6-5 Friday in Worcester.

Lincoln, the fourth Crimson pitcher in the marathon, took over in the ninth and gave up three hits over the last four and one-third innings. His single gave Harvard a 6-4 lead, Holy Cross, in a last ditch rally, cut the margin to one run in the bottom of the thirteenth.

Harvard had gone ahead in the ninth with a desperate rally of its own. Trailing 3-2, the Crimson picked up one run on Jim Tobin's triple, a walk, and Coach Norm Shepard's favorite weapon, a suicide squeeze. Then Joe O'Donnell, breaking out of a season-long slump, drove in the lead run with a single.

But the Crusaders came back in the bottom of the ninth as Paul Stagliano hit a ground-rule double, moved to third on a single, and scored on Jack Sheehan's fly. John Dockery's throw from left field almost caught Stagliano at the plate, but the Holy Cross runner dove into O'Donnell hard enough to shake the ball loose--and knocked himself cold in the process.

The Crimson victory does not affect its standing in the Greater Boston League, and all Harvard could do on Saturday was watch Northeastern blast M.I.T. 14-0 to sew up the league championship. Both Harvard and the Huskies have lost only one game in league play, but North-eastern won the title on a better percentage, with eight wins to the Crimson's five.

Harvard's record is now 15-8, with the only game remaining on the schedule the commencement contest with Yale. Holy Cross is 9-5. Box Score   ab  r  h  rbl Dockery, lf  5  0  0  0 Neville, cf  5  0  2  0 Welz, 1b  5  0  0  0 Hootstein, rf  5  0  0  0 Tobin, 3b  6  2  2  0 Houston, 2b  5  2  0  0 Grate, ss  4  2  2  2 Liebgott, c  1  0  1  1 O'Donnell, c  3  0  2  1 Scott, p  2  0  1  0 Sersich, p  0  0  0  0 Lord, ph  1  0  0  0 Munzel, p  0  0  0  0 Lincoln, p  2  0  1  2