New Library Building Not Planned Now

Pusey Cites Other Building Priorities

By Robert J. Samuelson

President Pusey said this week that the construction of a major new library building for the University is not contemplated for the immediate future.

Such a measure was recommended last week by a special library committee established to study the growing space problem in the University's library system. The report, which is still confidential, endorsed the new building as one of a series of proposals.

Pusey indicated Wednesday that he had looked over the report but had not yet studied it in detail. He said, however, that the University has a number of other financial and building commitments that precede the construction of a new library. He mentioned the new International Studies Center specifically.

International Studies Center

Part of the space shortage problem will be solved by decentralization, he said. For example, the International Studies Center and the proposed library for the Graduate School of Education will accomodate large numbers of books, he said.

"Whenever we build a new building, we always leave a lot of space for books," he declared.

The library report, is said to envision a need for a doubling of the system's capacity in the next decade. The shelf space of Widener Library is already reaching 85 per cent of capacity--the danger point for classified collections like Widener's which must keep space for new materials on all shelves.

Site

One problem in the construction of a major new library is finding a site. A building on the present site of Weld Hall has reportedly been suggested. The other possibilities are thought to include the bloc on Massachusetts Ave, directly across from Widener and several areas in the Yard.

A more temporary suggestion to the space problem has been the construction of shelves in the Widener light courts. This idea may still be used, although officials doubt it can provide permanent relief.