All Ivy Teams But Columbia Romp; Cornell, Yale Face Stiff Opposition

By Boisfeuillet JONES Jr.

While Harvard was running over Lafayette last Saturday, six of the seven other Ivy League teams were also enjoying triumphs in their openers.

The lone Ivy casualty was Columbia, which was crushed by Colgate, 38-0. It was the highest score and the widest margin achieved against the Lions in an opening game in Columbia's 76 years of football.

Seven fumbles -- four of them lost -- clogged the new Columbia I-formation offense. Nothing, however, seemed to stop Colgate's I-formation attack, as sophomore quarterback Ron Burton ran for a touchdown, threw another, and picked up 152 yards in total offense. Burton is the first Negro to play quarterback at Colgate.

The predicted top dogs in the League, Dartmouth and Princeton, didn't have as easy time as expected last week. Dartmouth's offense, after two first-quarter touchdowns on a 48-yard punt return by Sam Hawken and a 64-yard scamper by Gene Ryzewicz, sputtered for the rest of the game in a 17-7 victory over Massachusetts.

It was the Dartmouth defense which kept the Indians on top by permitting UMass only 42 yards rushing the whole game.

Princeton had a rougher time with Rutgers, winning 16-12, though the game was not so close as the score indicates. The Tigers rolled up a big 16-0 lead before Rutgers scored fourth-quarter touchdowns of 88 and 83 yards on a kickoff return and screen pass. Princeton then kept the ball deep in Rutgers territory for the rest of the game.

The Tiger offense piled up 288 yards and 17 first downs under the direction of sophomore tailback Dick Bracken, while Rutgers could muster but six first downs.

Two other Ivy teams, Cornell and Yale, demonstrated offenses which make them contenders for the League title. Cornell topped tough Buffalo, 28-21, and Yale blanked Connecticut, 16-0. Yale's sophomore quarterback Brian Dowling showed his stuff by tossing two touchdown passes one of them to sophomore fullback Calvin Hill.

But watch out for Yale's defense. UConn's opening first down did not come until the last play of the first half.

The Ivy scrubs, Brown and Penn, won high-scoring affairs last Saturday and face each other this Saturday. Brown defeated Rhode Island, 40-27, behind some dazzling punt returns by Dave Jollin.

Penn, trailing Lehigh 28-7 at halftime, scored five second-half touchdowns to win, 38-28. Junior tailback Cabot Knowlton, transfer student from Florida State, scored four of the touchdowns. Penn should have a slightly better attack than Brown in this week's Ivy fray.

The only other Ivy game pits hapless Columbia against Princeton in what should be almost as much of a bore as the Harvard-Tufts contest.

The rest of the Ivy teams should have fairly rough competition. Cornell, though slightly favored, will have plenty of trouble stopping Colgate's Burton. Yale will have to prove its mettle against Rutgers, those 16-12 losers to Princeton.

Dartmouth, meanwhile, will play Holy Cross, which didn't degrade itself any in last week's 14-0 loss to Army.