Crimson Sets Three New Records In Smashing Victory Over Lions

After Saturday's game John Yovicsin, the Harvard football coach, pointed out to his Columbia counterpart, Buff Donelli, that the Lions had recorded 20 first downs to only 11 for the Crimson.

Donelli replied bitterweetly, "Yeah, but every time you got a first down, you never stopped running." Which is about what happened. Big plays, several of the record variety, were the difference.

The first one was Tom Wynne's beautiful 51-yard field goal in the first quarter, wiping out a 55-year old Harvard record held by Charlie Brickley, who booted a 47-yarder against Princeton in 1912. Since the Ivy League was formed in 1956, the Crimson has never lost a game in which a Harvard player has kicked a field goal. The record stands at 15-0-3 for such contests.

Vic Gatto's 55-yard punt return in the second period, which set up the second Harvard touchdown, was the seventh longest punt return in Crimson history, the longest one being of 89 yards in 1948 by Hal Moffie against Holy Cross.

The long pass play from Ric Zimmerman to Gary Strandemo, good for 72 yards and a TD early in the third quarter, was the fifth longest in University sports annals, and Ken Thomas's 91-yard run after picking off an errant Columbia pass in the final period was the third best run with an interception in Harvard history.

In playing what Yovicsin called "our best football game of the year," the Crimson piled up the most points against an Ivy League foe since the circuit's formation. And the 168 yards that Zimmerman gained on passes (on five completions in 11 attempts) was a personal high for the husky senior and was also a Harvard high against a league foe.

Columbia, which had one punt and one extra point blocked, and had penalties called on two other punts, has had kicking troubles all year. The Lions had a punt blocked and subsequently recovered for a enemy touchdown in the Colgate game. But their passing which looked good once it got going, has been the strongpoint.

Donelli said after the game that he was "somewhat perturbed to see Domres (Lion quarterback Marty) run so much in the first quarter. I would much rather have seen him throw more." Luckily for the Crimson, he started throwing in earnest only when the game was already decided.