Baker's Record Leads Harriers to 16-45 Romp

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard cross country team ran without two of its starters and lost another en route, but still had plenty of depth to take its sixth straight meet, 16-45, against Cornell at Ithaca Saturday.

Captain Jim Baker remained undefeated and smashed the course record of alltime Big Red hero Gordon Matusak as he covered the five and one-sixteenth mile course in 25:45.8.

Keith Colburn and Tim McLoone did not run because of injuries and Roy Shaw dropped out halfway through, also because of injuries. But two Harvard seniors who had received little notice this season came through with big performance.

Following Baker and junior Doug Hardin to the finish were Dick Howe and Bob Stempson. Stempson was the key man in last week's victory over Brown and Howe is a veteran who, until today, had fallen below Coach Bill McCurdy's predictions of big things for him.

Sophomore John Heyburn took sixth place, behind Cornell's first man, and Peter Denehy and Erik Roth turned in their best showings of the year in eighth and ninth place. Even Harvard's tenth man Jeff. Huvelle finished before Cornell's fifth man.

In the fresman race, Dave Pottetti paced Harvard to a 22-33 victory over Cornell and a 19-40 win over Auburn Community College.