Student Shuttles Into Immortality

Like the Brooklyn high school student who covered every mile of the New York subway system in twenty-four hours, Harvard senior Ravi Rikhye couldn't let well enough alone. This weekend, on a $25 Mohawk Airlines "Weekends Unlimited" pass, Rikhye flew 8400 miles in 36 hours, setting a record that will probably go unchallenged.

While trying to "maximize hours in the air," he touched down in nine different cities in the Northeast on sixteen separate flights. Flying often on the same plane and on those he'd been on earlier, Rikhye hopped back and forth into the same towns and landed in one, Syracuse, twelve times.

"I really can't say I got anything out of it," he sighed groggily last night. He began at 6 a.m. Saturday after staying up all Friday night working out his schedule, and was in the air 21 of the next 36 hours until his pass ran out at 6 p.m. Sunday.

He sat in seat number thirteen on every plane, flying standby continuously. Halfway through the ordeal, when he had to vault through a window to get by locked doors, he became tired of the whole idea.